plz click in this ads

Legend Nadal announces retirement from tennis after Davis Cup

 


Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal announced on Thursday that he will retire from professional tennis after the Davis Cup final in Malaga in November at the age of 38.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion said in a video on his account: "I am retiring from professional tennis. I have had some difficult years, especially the last two. I have not been able to play without restrictions. Of course this is a difficult decision, but in this life everything has a beginning and an end.

Nadal, who has suffered numerous injuries in recent years, continued: "The time has come to end a long and very successful career that I never expected. I am very happy that my last tournament will be in the Davis Cup final, representing my country.

Nadal dominated world tennis for years alongside retired Swiss Roger Federer and Serb Novak Djokovic. The trio won 66 Grand Slam titles between them.

"I feel very fortunate for the experiences I have had. I would like to thank the tennis community and the people involved in this sport: my teammates and especially my bitter rivals. I have spent many hours with them and lived moments that I will remember for the rest of my life," added the Matador, who won the Davis Cup with Spain in 2004 as an 18-year-old, the first of four, the last of which will come in 2019.

"It's a bit difficult to talk about my team because they have been part of my life, they are not just colleagues, they are friends. They have been at my side in all the moments I have needed them. Difficult moments and beautiful moments," continued the Mallorcan, who has won a record 14 Roland Garros titles on clay.

Nadal spoke about his family: "They are everything to me. My mother. She made all the sacrifices for us to have everything. My wife Meri, we have been together for 19 years, thank you for everything. I think you have been the best travelling companion. Seeing my child grow every day was a source of strength that kept me going and gave me the energy to carry on. And my sister, we had a wonderful relationship".

Rafa spoke of his uncle Toni, who was his coach for many years: "He is the reason why I started playing tennis. Thanks to him, I got through difficult moments in my career. As for my father, he was an inspiration to me in every sense of the word.

Nadal also thanked the fans who have always kept him going: "Everything I have achieved has been a dream come true. I leave with peace of mind, having given my best.

Spain will play the Netherlands in the quarter-finals of the Davis Cup on 19 November, and if they win, they will play the winner of the Germany-Canada match, with the final taking place on 24 November.

Post a Comment

0 Comments